Unity Shader Graph - Grid Shader by UGuruz

June 16, 2021

Shader Graph

Unity


Title: Grid Shader in Unity LWRP - Shader Graph Tutorial
By: UGuruz
Youtube - Tutorial #3
Description: Experimenting with tiling and the rectangle node in Unity Shader Graph to create a Tron-like glowing grid pattern.


My Final Grid Shader Graph (w/ Color Change Addition)

Overview

Following my exploration of Unity's shader graph, I did this tutorial by UGuruz on creating a grid shader similar to what you see in Tron. I really liked the effect so I continued it slightly further by adding a color changing effect over time, as can be seen in my examples provided.

Learnings from Tutorial

Using a Fraction node with a Tiling & Offset node is an effective way to give you standard expected tiling and offset results. I however had some strange effects because of interactions with the UVs of the models. The base UVs of just a standard Unity cube did not tile effectively for me, so I tried using Unity's ProBuilder to make a basic cube since that also gave me easy access to modifying UVs if necessary. This gave me much more consistent results similar to those in the tutorial, since I wanted to avoid the step of modifying UVs in Blender.

They mentioned the shader would only work well on flat surfaces, but I at least wanted to test on another surface to see what the result would be and see if I could improve it. That's why I included a sphere in the environment. It immediately gave very strange results as expected, but I found that grouping faces together through the ProBuilder tool helped give a better result, as this allows it to treat the many faces of a sphere similar to a single large face. This concept works well with a basic tiling pattern like I used here.

I did end up using World type UVs to get a decent visual result on everything, especially the sphere. While this gave something very close to what is desired, it is still a somewhat strange appearance when viewed from some angles as this inherently treats the positioning in world space as the coordinates for applying the shader. I still need to investigate the UV types and UVs in general though to get a better understanding of how to control them.


Unity Shader Graph: Tutorial by UGuruz with Color Change Addition from Steve Lilley on Vimeo.

Video Example of the Grid Shader Result with Color Change Addition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Multiplayer Networking Solution Tutorial Using Unity and Mirror - Tutorial by: Jason Weimann

Exporting FBX from Houdini with Color

Houdini Assignment - Fuse and Group