Unity Shader Graph - Black Hole VFX - by Gabriel Prod.

July 7, 2021

Shader Graph

Unity


Title: Unity VFX & Shader Graph - Black Hole Effect Tutorial
By: Gabriel Aguiar Prod.
Youtube - Tutorial #1
Description: Tutorial for a black hole VFX using Unity's Shader Graph, particle systems, and Visual Effect graph.


Title: { How to CHANGE the SKYBOX in Unity } - HDR Textures in the description
By: GameDevTraum
Youtube - Tutorial #2
Description: Quick tutorial to use texture as Skybox in Unity.


General Notes

Fixing Errors

I immediately ran into an issue with the Scene Color node. The fix for this was going to the Main Camera and setting the "Opaque Texture" to ON (found under the Rendering section of the Camera). This made the shader and material match the scene color appropriately, giving that transparent look.

I found a generic space texture to use for my background to emulate the one used in the tutorial. I turned it into a Cube texture to create a Cubemap material to use as my Skybox material. That was what I used Tutorial #2 linked to above for.

I was still having an issue seeing the effects in the scene view (it was just remaining as a matte gray plane). I found that modifying the Opaque Texture flag in the UniversalRenderPipelineAsset (High-Quality for me and my current Unity version) resolved this issue, as described here:
Unity Questions - scene color node not working in shader graph

Multiply to Control Effect Distribution

They multiplied the noise with a round particle texture to create a round visual effect on the rectangular plane that contained all the interesting visual effects. The white parts of the texture contained the focus on the noise, while the black parts did not receive impact from the noise. The transition between the two then also creates a bit of a smoother transition from where the distortion occurs to the lack of distortion.

My Resulting Black Hole VFX from Following Tutorial #1

My Resulting Shader Graph for the Heat Distortion Following Tutorial #1

My Resulting Visual Effect Graph for the Floating Particles Following Tutorial #1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Multiplayer Networking Solution Tutorial Using Unity and Mirror - Tutorial by: Jason Weimann

Exporting FBX from Houdini with Color

Houdini Assignment - Fuse and Group